Have you ever given thought to how the humidity in your home can be bad for you? Aside from making it an uncomfortable proposition to stay indoors, humidity aids the spread of dust mites, causes static electricity, and makes the dust too sticky to remove. It sucks out the fresh feeling that guests always look for. Here are a few ways to that and other things, in ways that ensure you won’t have to pull too much weight.
Optimize Your Home’s Humidity Level
It is not good to have your home too humid, or too little so. The ideal setup is somewhere between 40% and 50%. This is enough to eliminate static, while still beating back dust mite growth. Clean your household vents once a year and make sure they are completely dry.
Wipe Down Glass Shower Doors
Soap scum builds up pretty fast on glass shower doors, so use a rain repellant to slow that down. When you use this on glass, an invisible barrier is created, which repels oils and debris. Whatever is splashed that way, forms beads and rolls off. Windshield rain repellants can be bought from any auto supplies store.
Cleaning Natural Stone Countertop
Granite, marble, and other natural stones have pores unless they are sealed. So liquids like juice, wine, and sauce can form stains which are hard to remove. Use a countertop sealer to keep off such stains, and apply it at least twice yearly. Find out if the marble needs a fresh coat; pour some water and see if it doesn’t bead. If no, the counter top needs resealing.
Protect The Furniture And Carpets
Furniture sprays and carpet sealants can be used to guard against spills. Some of these also protect against fading and mold. These have the same effect as countertop sealant, in that they cause moisture to bead on the surface instead of getting absorbed. The right sealer applied once a year is the only way to stave off deep upholstery and carpet cleaning.
Throw Out Your Generic Oven-Cleaning Products
Most oven-cleaners let off noxious fumes, which leave a horrible mess. They contain lye in most instances, which is harmful to the eyes and skin, and usually fatal if swallowed. Just use a wet pumice stone to get the dirt out, and save yourself loads of time. Better yet, heat up a damp sponge or cloth in a microwave for 30 seconds and use that for wiping out the dirt in the oven.
These are five ways to cut down the need for frequent cleaning in your home.